Monday, February 21, 2011

Bitter Sweet

Our visits to day went well we are slowly making progress. Each time is a little bitter sweet; we arrive she cries a little, we quickly try recover with some game or new activity. She will stubbornly avoid eye contact and any interest in our presence. More often now by the end of the visit Sam and I will have found something engage her. This morning one of the caregivers tried to help us with bubbles and puzzles. This worked for a short time but after the caregiver left she tried pretty hard to avoid having any interest. We pulled out the phone for some alphabet and puzzle games. The games help overcome the language barrier, they provide visual cues when our verbal ones are lacking.
This evenings visit we started by watching a video then went on to play games. She grew tired of the games and started to ignore us again. In one of our previous visits we found she enjoyed listening to music on the iPod. Sam put it out and asked her if she wanted to listen, so far she has said very little maybe 2-3 words since we have arrived. We could tell she wanted to but was not going to give in and say "Да". Right then some of the other kids came in, one of the little boys in the group started to get Sam's attention. She actually seemed a little jealous and put her arm out with a loud "Нет". After the other children left she mellowed out and sat down with Sam to listen to some tunes. I started showing her some pictures on Sam's phone, we came across a picture of her new room which definitely sparked some interest. I took a picture and let her see the one I had just taken, she let me take another and I was very surprised to see that she had given me a smile. Each day is a little better than the next we are slowly wearing down her prickly resolve with love and kindness.

4 comments:

The McEacherns said...

Way to be patient!

Scott and Sammy Wood said...

Thank You! That is the advice we got ahead of time. Lots of patience and time! She did open up more to us today :) we will talk about that in today's post. Do you have a blog?

Scott and Sammy Wood said...

Clearly, I spoke too soon! I found it! :)

Julie said...

Sounds EXACTLY like my 4 year old! One minute he loves me, the next minute he doesn't. Though I sometimes get the occasional bite or punch when he doesn't. I have found when he acts up like that it's usually because he doesn't feel in control of the situation. So he reacts the only when he can, by withholding affection from me. I have found by giving him more choices (love & logic way) he has seemed to not be so defiant and angry with me all the time. Sounds like that's what you are both doing too! You're doing great! Know that's part of parenting, the ups and the downs. They all work out in the end. Miss you Sammy!