My stay in Ukraine has been a comfortable one. My driver and translator have gone out of their way to make sure that I have what I need. I don't know if I said this before, but this region has welcomed me with open arms.
When visiting Pearl's orphanage, there is only one playroom and it is shared. You come in contact with other parents, biological or adoptive, and other family members. Mostly native. I cannot express how interesting it is! I have met one American couple, 2 sets of new native Ukrainian adoptive parents, and one grandparent and great-grandparent of the same bloodline. All have been so friendly, and always offer my prospective child confyeti(Candy). Even know that the caregivers say they get fed 5 times a day all of us parents joke that may not always hold true by how our kids react to offering them food. You hear and see them eat in just seconds! We also take turns watching out for the caregivers so none of us get into trouble while one of oir kids gobble a cookie, or sucks down their juice.
Yesterday was St. Nicholas day in Ukraine. I got to watch how Pearl's orphanage celebrates this traditional holiday. The kids dress in cute costumes and dance and celebrate the arrival of St. Nicholas. Although I did not understand most of the Russian dialog, the program included cameo appearances from Straganoma with 2 little helpers, A big bear and hunter, and sweet angels. At the end, St. Nicholas made his presence and the children were offered gifts from his sack. Locals as well as city officials come to watch this program, and make charitable contributions to the Orphanage.
Scott will reunite with me next Tuesday as we await our upcoming court date. Sasha will stay behind with her grandparents. As sad as I am to not spend Christmas with my special girl, she will have fun and in good hands! I bought a christmas tree to make my apartment more festive. This is my first purchase of a real tree! It smells so lovely in here. I will be making authentic kompot a Eastern Europe drink that is made in different variations. Mine will be made with boiling fruit that have hints of smokiness. I usually put a cinnamon stick and cloves so it doesn't taste to camp-firy, but that is the taste Scott likes.
No comments:
Post a Comment