Sunday, February 16, 2014

I took the one less traveled by.

Lets rewind back to January 23rd. This was my last real day in Kiev, and I got to spend the day with my facilitator Olga, one last time. We successfully received Larissa's American Visa, and had our last celebration meal together. This day was successful, intense, and stressful all at the same time because of yesterday's events. My dad had a massive heart attack. The aftermath left him vulnerable, and dependent on a life support machine. I was told that we were supposed to wait for 24 hrs for his outcome.

Our facilitation team went above and beyond to get everything done in a quick matter to get us out of Ukraine and back to the U.S.  Delta came through with 2 ticket changes at no cost. I had only had 1.5 hrs sleep the night before. I do not know how I was even functioning today. I was ready to burst out crying at any second but waited until we were tucked in at bed that night. I kept looking at the time, and was suppose to be up in about 4 hours to be ready for an American flight scheduled for 6:30 AM.  I didn't sleep. I kept on going.  I traveled 18 hrs today solo with Larissa, by my side. I still don't know how I made this happen. Auto pilot, I suppose.

I wanted badly to go back to Donetsk. My feelings were all over the place. Did not want to go back home to see what awaited me. I got a text immediately when I arrived at the SL airport. I was suppose to meet my immediate family at the hospital my dad was at. He was taken off life support today, and was expected to leave the physical world anywhere from 1 to 3 days. I was pissed. Not at my family, but why was I robbed of the first real day back home with my daughter? to spend time with my family and introduce my little bean to the rest? to introduce her to my dad.

Thank goodness for my husband, Scott. He knew what state I was in. He drove me to the hospital. I met my mom, my Aunt (Dad's sister), and Uncle. There he was (Pausing at this moment). I asked everyone to leave as I needed to say some words to my pops. I told him how much I loved him, and thanked him for all the faith he had in me as a child, and as an adult. My hand was clasped to his. Never, did I want to let this go. I am in shock. He was taking his lasts breaths. I tell my family to come back, and we talk a minute. We notice his breathing was quiet and quickly go to his bed. All four of us are crying and telling him it is okay to go. He passed right in front of us. Everyone told me he had waited for me. He waited for me. He knew I was coming home. I hadn't seen him since Oct. 25th.

My course of life has changed in two major ways.

Larissa has brought me so much light. She has his same hair color, and I get told on a daily basis that she looks just like me. She makes a little bit of progress each day. She has came with a bit of challenges, but slowly is adjusting to her new life. She is the life of the party, and she lets you know that. She is smart as a whip. So far, she knows and uses a few English words already. Larissa absolutely adores Sasha and gets upset when She has to go to school. Sasha adores Larissa just as much, but she has regressed a little. The reality has faced her. The sharing. Oh the SHARING! Sasha sees what Larissa gets away with and adopts her behaviors. It has been whine fest 3000! but I am happy to report we have had 2 excellent days as a family in 3 weeks time. Inch by inch, life is a cinch. Yard by yard by garsh it's hard!


Larissa and Sasha 


Larissa enjoying the pipes at our local park

No comments: